SEO Article Posted by Internet Marketing Speaker on 27-12-2006
A client sent me a copy of an email last week titled Confessions of a Black Hat SEO. When I saw the client this morning at Starbucks I mentioned the article, and thanked him for passing it on. I then said, nothing new but all valid points. He looked surprised and said : “We’ve never talked about My Space and how about Squidoo?” Alas, he was right-I didn’t think they were worth the effort at this stage of his Search Engine Optimization efforts!
Which brings up an interesting point for those doing their own Internet Marketing SEO efforts or for SEO firms helping clients-What are the biggest payoffs early in the game? Here is a list of things I focus on :
1. Get a blog to supplement your Internet marketing program-be sure that it is linked to your website and that your website is linked to your blog.
2. Set up your WordPress blog to automatically ping all the search engines.
3. With every blog post use your Technorati tags and Del.icio.us tags. Those two things alone are huge and will greatly increase your traction with search engines.
4. Always use your keywords in your tags as well as your categories.
5. Give your readers an option to use RSS feeds as well as email sign ups.
6. Try to incorporate keywords in your URL.
7. Don’t only tag your keywords in Technorati and Del.icio.us but also tag your keyword phrases.
8. Read your analytics program daily and incorporate keywords and phrases that potential customers are using to find your blog. A few of my favorites are : Site Meter, Stat Counter, Google Analytics and Crazy Egg.
9. Start an aggressive link building campaign.
10. If you have a website and it is nowhere to be found in the search engines the chances are pretty good you need a rewrite of your site. We recently did a modified rewrite for a client who had flash on his site. Less than a month later, critical web pages are showing up in Google searches. If I had to do it again-this is the very first think I would have clients focus on.
There you have it. These are the critical components I would focus on in your SEO efforts. There are countless other things you can do-but I feel these will give you the biggest bang for your buck!! Hope you all had a great Christmas and Holiday Season and we look forward to helping you all have a very prosperous Happy New Year!